Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

I have just put my 26 yr. old son into rehab for the 2nd time.

Customer Question

I have just put my 26 yr. old son into rehab for the 2nd time. He is addicted to methadone. He has stolen over $40,0000 from my checking and sold off all our gold jewelry. I am just curious what kind of punishment by Pa. law. I do not plan on pressing charges. He will get another chance from me. But very curious, and ultimately devastated. Thank you Debbie E.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Thanks for the ACCEPT, I would not have asked for it until I provided my Answer. I am working on your Answer, please hold for one moment.

Thanks,

Michael
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, not quite sure what to do here. Did you get my question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What kind of info. do you need?

Thanks for your patience.

Theft over $2000 is charged as a third degree felony in Pennsylvania. The punishment for this type of felony is a maximum of 7 years in prison. For every instance your son took more than $2000, he could be charged with a third degree felony.

For lower amounts, he could be looking at maximums of 3 and 5 years, depending on the amount he stole each time.

Consequently, if he stole $40,000 total, I would assume he would have several counts against him, and could be looking at significant time (as a maximum sentence).

Good luck.

Michael (no need to Accept again).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when you say significant time, he took at least $2000.00 or $3000.00 at a clip. So if it was at least 15 times, and forged my signature each time along with the jewelry he stole, Do you know what the min. and the max. time would be.

Assuming it was 15 counts of third degree felony and the DA didn't drop any....

Max: 105 years
Min: 52.5 years.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH, WHAT A SHAME. UNBELIEVALBE, I NEED ALL THE LUCK I CAN GET. MUCH APPRECIATE YOU ANSWERING ME. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS . AND I WILL EVENTUALLY TELL HIM. THANKS AGAIN
DEBBIE E.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DEBBIE E. ALSO i HOPE THIS INFO, GETS DESTROYED..DOES IT??

This is a public forum. However, you can request that this thread be locked my emailing customer service.

Good luck!