How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can police in colorado question a minor child without

This answer was rated:

can police in colorado question a minor child without parents permission?

Good morning. Regarding your question about the police questioning the minor without an adult present, while the police can do so, any actual statement obtained not taken by the police in the presence of some independent advocate (even if it was just a teacher) should not be admissable in court. The minor can be arrested and charged even without someone filing a formal complaint. The parents of the minor only need to be informed at the point when the minor is brought to the juvenile detention facility for booking.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the minor child was a witness to a domestic violence case and was questioned without my permission, i just found out about the situation, 2 months later. now they want him to testify in trial. i don't agree to this. the child is only 11 years old. what do i do?
Thank you for providing that additional information. Unfortunately, a subpoena can be issued forcing your child to testify as it sounds like he may have been a witness to a crime. To prevent the issuance of a subpoena, you may consider speaking to the prosecuting attorney to explain why you do not want your son to testify to see if they can move forward without him. Otherwise if a subpoena issues forcing him to testify, there may not be a lot that can be done to prevent this given the child's age. The ramifications of testifying are thought to be less on an 11 year old than on a younger child who may not be able to distinguish between the truth and a lie or understand the proceedings.

To the extent that being a witness may cause the child to testify against one or both of his parents, that may be an avenue through which an attorney could provide an objection to your son's having to testify. However, this would be a matter for a judge to decide.
Law Girl, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience: I have practiced criminal law.
Law Girl and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions