Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

i have a court date comeing in december for a misdomeanor altercation

i have a court date comeing in december for a misdomeanor altercation with a cop,the da office has a special court for mentally ill defendants.can i approach the da ,and plead quilty to save everybodys time and expense.this case is overly charged,but i want to get it over with,considering after a year ,the record is expunged.this is in bklyn ny criminal court.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You can negotiate a deal with the DA to save time and money. However, once you reach an agreement, you're required to appear before the judge. That way, he can explain the charges to you, take your plea, and determine whether it's voluntary.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i can ask,can i do this on my own,since i have a legal aid att,whose pretty busy.if i go to the da office and talk to one of the asst da,is that correct.
If you have a lawyer on file (meaning that he has filed paperwork or entered a plea on your behalf), the DA isn't allowed to talk to you. Your lawyer would have to withdraw first.

If the lawyer is someone that you've talked to but hasn't actually done any work on the case for you yet, you would talk to the DA assigned to your case. You can call him - I wouldn't recommend just showing up, because they spend a lot of time in court, and he may not be there. If you call him and he wants an appointment, he can ask you to come in to discuss it.