Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Hello, I live in Texas and I am currently on probation for

I live in Texas and I am currently on probation for forgery of a financial instrument in Denton County. I only have 6 or 7 months left and I am now in trouble for credit card abuse. I paid my water bill that was turned off with someone else's credit card. I have 3 small children and I was in a panic without water for 2 days. Will they revoke my probation? What will happen to me now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

So you caught a new charge while on probation?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

I see.

Well, you will have a probation violation hearing. This can be before your hearing on the new charge or they can wait for the outcome. Though, they don't have to. They can bring you in on the new charge. They don't need a conviction to terminate your probation. They can terminate your probation just for getting the new charge.

If they terminate it, any sentence that was suspended when you were granted probation, can be imposed. It can be imposed to run consecutive with any new sentence that you might get. The court may award you time for good behavior up and until you caught the new charge.

I am sorry this is not a good situation for you and your family

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The probation Im on now is deferred. What are my chances of getting probation on this case and not serving jail time?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

It may be possible. You will need a good local attorney to help negotiate with the DA.