Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
6704987

I was arrested 8/20/2010 for DUI in the state of Alaska, where

Customer Question

I was arrested 8/20/2010 for DUI in the state of Alaska, where I am licensed. I am not yet convicted, but likely will be. I am 62, semi-retired and have a CDL. I had an impeccable driving record and personal record and have never been in trouble of any kind. I travel extensively and live most of the time in Mexico. My problem is that my significant other lives in Victoria Canada and I will be unable to be with her in Canada for 5 years. She is unwilling to move to Mexico or the US full time. We were planning on spending part of the year, maybe up to 6 months in Canada and the other in Mexico, Alaska or traveling. Do I have any avenues to pursue?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

DUI's are monitored so closely by MADD, SADD, etc., it is practically impossible to have a DUI dropped, remanded, etc. The only way you can get around this is if you find a defense to the charges, a flaw in the ticket, procedure, testing, etc.

This can be done by having a good DUI lawyer review your paperwork to see if there is a technicality you can expose and use to get out of this.

You must act extremely quickly, however, to get this done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am well aware of the information that you sent. My question is how can I get into Canada with a DUI on my record other than waiting 5 years
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Understood. Maybe I was a little unclear.

The only way to avoid this is to beat the DUI. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait it out.

You cannot have a DUI expunged in Alaska, so your only chance to beat the 5 year period is to beat the ticket.

Roger, Lawyer
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is sad, how an ordinary citizen is turned into a convict so easily.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Public interest groups have come down so hard on driving under the influence that legislatures and courts are pressured into increasing penalties, etc.

It is unfortunate, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil!