TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

can a person in tn be charged as a repeat offender in a plea

can a person in tn be charged as a repeat offender in a plea bargain. He is not a repeat offender and can proof it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.

If a person has not been convicted of the prior crimes, then no, he can't be charged as a repeat offender. However, if the person has been convicted, even if that person believes he was wrongfully convicted, he can be charged as a repeat offender.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please click the "Accept" button (that's how I get credit for my answer). Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

never been in trouble before this, can he still be charged with repeat offender if his LAWYER AGREED TO IT, AND MAY SAY HE AGREED TO IT ALSO ?

No. If haven't previously been convicted, it would be illegal to charge you as a repeat offender. The judge can't accept a plea that is based on untrue things (such as your prior offender status). You can back out of this plea if you want.

I hope that answers your question. If so, please click the "Accept" button. Good luck.