P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

I was arrested for DUI in whitside county Illinois, is my first

I was arrested for DUI in whitside county Illinois, is my first ever offence on anything should I get a lawyer or just got to court on my own
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Did you blow over .08 or if not what is the evidence?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, 1.50 on the road an 1.34 at the station an Hour later
That makes it tough...two separate tests both well over the limit make contesting it difficult.

So do you need a lawyer?

Well, when you show up to court at the arraignment, what typically happens is BEFORE you go in front of the judge the prosecutor will approach you with "the deal". What they are offering.

Now, in IL the penalties for the most part are set...but for a 1st Offense, the prosecutor can offer a "court supervision"....this is a program that allows you to plea guilty but to avoid the loss of your license for the entire year (you would get a 6 month suspension instead)

This also avoids the conviction on your record.

Its a good deal. And if the prosecutor offers it up front, then it may be you can save the cost of an attorney. If they do not offer it up front, it may be worth hiring an attorney to try and negotiate for it. If you want to do this, you tell the judge at arraignment you need to hire a lawyer and the judge will set the next date in the future to give you time.

Let me know if you have more questions.