RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Long story short I met with my association property manager

Long story short: I met with my association property manager and provided valid reasons why I believed her to be incompetent and suggested she take some classes. Because of a previous dealing with her over our HOA elections, I recorded this conversation with her knowledge. During the conversation, I did not threaten her, cuss her, or even raise my voice. She is now saying she "felt" threatened, and is attempting to file an assault case. Is there any possible merit to her claim?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon, thank you for your question. Sorry to hear of your circumstances. I'm always amazed at what people will come up with.

This has no merit. In Georgia, a simple assault is defined as attempting to commit a violent injury to another person, or putting someone in a situation where it is reasonable that they will receive a violent injury. It's a misdemeanor.

Based on the facts you've provided,there was nothing that would put her in fear or provide a reasonable expectation that you intended to do her injury. She suffered no injuries or trauma, and if she went to the police, I'm not sure how seriously they would take her claim.

Assuming the worst case scenario (and I think this is a long shot) that the police believe her and decide to just arrest you without even talking to you first, a prosecutor still gets to make the final decision whether to press charges against a person. And, once they hear the recorded conversation, and see that there was incident, the case would be dismissed.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.