P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

I park my car in assigned parking spot in my Condominium (outside).

I park my car in assigned parking spot in my Condominium (outside). The owner of the car parked to next to my car is saying that her passenger door is damaged by my driver side door some time recently. I don't recall anything so I told her so. She said that it is the door next to my car and the paint matches with my car color. I don't see any paint, it is just a small scratch. Now she is saying she found the witness who was working outside of his/her unit in the building. No details of what exactly this person witnessed.
She insists on me to agree and pay for the damage. If not, she will go through with her insurance. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

A picture is a good idea. Really this comes down to if you caused the damage or not. If you did, she can sue you and force you to pay. If she has paint the same color as your car on her car at the site of the damage, that would be good evidence to support. As well, if there is someone who saw you damage her car, that would be evidence to support.

But if all she has is a damaged door and no other evidence to link to you or your car...that is not much of a case.

You may want to talk to the "witness" to see what they have to say.

Let me know if you have more questions