Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

MY SON WAS CHARGED W USING A BELT ON MY GRANDSON HE HIT HIM

MY SON WAS CHARGED W USING A BELT ON MY GRANDSON HE HIT HIM ONCE LEFT A MARKIT TOOK 30 DAYS PLUS TO RECEIVE THE CHARGE THERE WERE ONLY 3 PEOPLE PRESENT AT THE TIME OF THE SPACKING HE HIS 11 EMAIL ADDRESSXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
I read your facts, is there a specific question I could help you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHAT IS HE BEING FACE W BESIDES HAVING A 11 YR OLD TESTIFY AGAINST HIM
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
I don't understand what you are asking. Are you asking what the charge will be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
There are a number of crimes these can be charged under but the most likely is a violation of Chapter 14 Article 14-318.2 http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-318.2.html.

It is a class A1 misdemeanor. However, just because he has been charged doesn't mean he will be convicted. Many parents who are jurors refuse to convict on a situation where the discipline, including a spanking, was reasonable.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THIS WILL BE HEARD BEFORE A JUDGE ONLY THE OTHER FAMILY HAS A DETECTIVE WHO FILED CHARGES AND SOCIAL SERVICES THE DETECTIVE TOLD MY SON THAT HE WAS A INCH FROM BEING CHARGED AFTER 32 DAYS THE NEXT DAY AFTER COURT SHE FILED CHARGES BECAUSE THEY DIDNT GET CUSTODY
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
That doesn't sound unusual, unfortunately. However, if he gets a good lawyer and the injuries weren't terrible then he has a good chance of beating the case. Juries in the court don't approve of the "don't spank your children" type of prosecution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THERE IS NO JURY INVOLVED JUST A JUDGE HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN THEY BRING TO TESTIFY
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
They can bring as many witnesses as the court will allow. No set number.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHY CAN THE DA BRING AS MANY WITNESS WHEN THERE WERE ONLY 3 PEOPLE PRESENT
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
The number of people present has nothing to do with the number of witnesses who can be called. Your son will not be restricted on calling witnesses either. In some cases a lot of witnesses are called and in others only a few.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CAN MY SON BE FIRED FROM HIS JOB AS A TEACHER
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, although they would usually just suspend him until this matter is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why would he be fired if he is not guilty
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
You asked if he COULD be and I said yes, not that he will be. That is why people often get suspended until the case is finished. If he is guilty of child abuse then he shouldn't be having close contact with children, if he isn't then he shouldn't be fired, so a suspension is the best alternative to protect everyone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

our attorn whats to get my grandson on the stand because he knows the family and knows he is lying and to protect my son why cant this be resolved out of court

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
They may end up offering him a plea bargain but that is the only way to resolve criminal cases "out of court".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHAT COULD A PLEA BARGAIN BE
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Anywhere from probation to jail time, no way to tell without knowing all the facts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HOW COULD THERE BE JAIL TIME FOR DISCIPLINING HIS CHILD LIVING WITH HIM
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Because according to you he was charged with a criminal offense. If he is convicted then one of the possible results is jail time. Probation is more likely, but jail time is a possibility.

We have went back and forth on this several times and I am more than willing to continue until your questions have been answered, however I would ask you to hit the green ACCEPT button so that the website knows I am assisting you and so that I get credit for my work. There won't be any additional charge for any more questions that you have as long as they are reasonably related to the ones you've asked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE AND HE COULD GO TO JAIL
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he could. For first offenses it is normal to get probation if he is convicted or accepts a plea bargain, but jail is a possibility.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.