Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I had a medical emergency, my wife is on multiple medications

I had a medical emergency, my wife is on multiple medications and can hold it when she needs to go to the bathroom. We were close to a rest stop while travling out of town when she told me we needed to stop. Without paying attention I went 86 in a 65 to get there and was given a reckless driving ticket even though I tried to explain our circumstances to the officer. I haven't had a ticket in years and have plus points on my driving record. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, that defense isn't one which excuses the conduct. The best approach now to prevent a conviction is to contact the prosecutor for the court and explain the situation and ask for either deferred adjudication, pretrial diversion, or if you can take a defensive driving class to prevent it going on the record. Under these circumstances your chances are extremely good that they will allow it.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I hire a lawyer to go to trail with me, and how do I contact the prosecutor?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
You definitely increase your chances exponentially by hiring a lawyer. If the money isn't a big issue you would be well advised to do that since the charge is reckless driving instead of just speeding.