Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced criminal law.

My boyfriends soon to be ex spouse filed a motion to prevent

My boyfriends soon to be ex spouse filed a motion to prevent their children from being around me. It states in part that I have substance abuse issues and wool "cause harm." What evidence validates that claim? No DUIs, no treatment facilities, etc...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In the absence of any type of public record substantiating a substance abuse issue, then the court would rely on her testimony from what the person making the allegation has seen from being around the accused and/or potentially what the children have told her about what has happened being around the accused. Although some of this is hearsay, since children are involved, the court may err on the side of caution. However, it is not enough for the accuser to make such a grand allegation as there is substance abuse, the court will likely want details as to why this is believed and facts as to the personal knowledge she has of when the accused was using the substance and the consequences of such use.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."