Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

In the state of Michigan, Ottawa County, what would the sentencing

In the state of Michigan, Ottawa County, what would the sentencing be for a 17 year old caught selling marijuana?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

How much marijuana, please? Has he been adjudicated before?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, he has not been adjudicated before. I have found a gallon size zip lock half full in his tote bag with smaller baggies...telling me he's selling. This is the 2nd time his father and I have found this. I am looking for what the consequences would be if he were caught so I can have a very serious conversation with him in getting him to STOP once and for all. It's frustrating because he doesn't smoke weed, nor cigarettes (nor does he like or even date girls that do), he doesn't even drink pop! He's an A student who lately has been making some very poor "life choices". Obviously there's something else going on in his head to think he can get away with this and not eventually get caught...I just want to give him some TRUE expectations of what could come of it (including showing him my bank statements that will tell him I have no money to get him out of jail if caught.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Yes. It is a good thing you have found the marijuana. It is a felony offense. He will be subjected to 4 years in prison and/or a $20,000 fine. It will not matter that is under age 18, they can charge him as an adult. Suppose they only charge him a juvenile, then he is subject to spending time in a juvenile detention facility until he is age 21. Either way, it is not a pleasant ending.

I suppose he believes because he is only 17 he would get off, but that is not always the case. The best case scenario would be a deferred judgment and probation and substance abuse treatment, if he were only using. But distribution is another animal altogether and it is taken very seriously. There are no wrist slaps when one is selling an illegal substance, unless it is a proven addict of say heroin and they are selling to maintain a habit. Then a break is given. But when one is doing it for the gain of money at the expense of someone else's habit, they are pretty tough

Perhaps, you should try to explain that he is aiding to the harm of someone else's child, too. That might help get your message across

Or take him on a tour of a juvenile facility. Note that a prison is always worse

If you have further questions, you can post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, please remember to accept as that is how I get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you

Edited by Samuel-II on 10/3/2010 at 9:14 PM EST