Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

I received a call at 6 AM from my 23-year-old son, who lives

I received a call at 6 AM from my 23-year-old son, who lives in Baltimore, MD. I live in New Jersey. He is a Johns Hopkins graduate and has never been in trouble, and will be entering med school next September. Walking home from the Inner Harbor, he heard a group of police officers making ant-gay slurs (he is gay). He verbally confronted them and they arrested him and charged him with assault. He was allowed a one-minute call and no one has been allowed to see him. I am told that he will be held until the "next shift," which apparently means Monday. What is going on here?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did he say if he could post a bond?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We don't know that at this time. He has not had a hearing or anything and when his friends went to the jail, they were told they could not see him and the "Commissioner" would have the hearing on "the next shift." I assume that means Monday.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You are assuming correctly. Obviously neither you nor I know exactly what transpired at the scene so I can't comment on the facts of the case. the best advice anyone can offer at this point is for your son to keep quiet and get an attorney. If he cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint on. Hopefully he will be released on his own recognizance tomorrow but if a bond is set then someone will have to post that for him.

You should be able to contact the court tomorrow to see what happened but I would assume your son will be able to contact you directly. As for the facts of the incident that will have to be reviewed by his attorney to see exactly where he stands with respect to the charges. There is just nothing you can do today to solve the situation if there is no bail set. You can call the jail and ask if there is a bail amount that can be posted to get him out but other than that it is virtually impossible to do anything on a weekend. They have a right to hold him until tomorrow the initial appearance.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience practicing attorney