Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was pulled over in Lake Co.for expired plates; surpassed

Customer Question

I was pulled over in Lake Co.for expired plates; surpassed by 2-months. No excuss yet went un noticed. Upon receiving the ticket, went back to work on line with BMV and corrected same day. Unable to make court date in Crown Point on 10-26 - so I just paid the fine $124.00 on line today. The more I think about this, I though about cancelling by travels and attend court. Any thoughts with this or move on?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Once you paid the fine, you are going to have to file a motion to vacate the guilty plea. If you had showed up with the proof you corrected the issue, then chances are you could have gotten a dismissal or at least a very reduced fine if this was your first traffic offense. Now trying to vacate the plea by paying is going to be difficult and would need an attorney to go to court to argue for you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.