Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

Over 25 years ago I plead guilty to a felony. The lawyers fees

Over 25 years ago I plead guilty to a felony. The lawyers fees to try the case was more than I made in a year. I was told if I asked for a public defender I would surely go to jail. I truly love to hunt and I'm getting old. Is there any way I can purchase a gun, and if not if I borrow a gun to hunt with is that a crime ???

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, Texas law does not allow a felony to be expunged where a person has been convicted or plead guilty. While Texas Penal Code, Section 46.04 does allow a convicted felon to possess a firearm in his own home, he isn't allowed to take the weapon off the premises of his home for hunting. You can purchase a gun for home defense, and you can use it while on your property. Unfortunately, since the restriction is on possessing a gun, not owning it, it would be illegal to borrow a gun to hunt on someone else's property.

I understand that you may be disappointed by this Answer, as it is not entirely favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide you with better news, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I work hard to ensure that I provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me. It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance.

Best of luck,