Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

MY boyfriend is a felon in Georgia on probation, he has fled

Customer Question

MY boyfriend is a felon in Georgia on probation, he has fled georgia to california and also has 2 felony warrants on top of the violation of probation plus he has a court date at the end of the month for a misdemeanor which obviously he won't be there for.Once I track him down in California, how can I get him brought back to georgia, I have put my house up for bond and when he misses that court date at the end of oct. they will come after my house. He has violated his probation in truop county since april, has 2 warrants in cobb county and is awaiting trial in cobb county for a misdemeanor, why is it so hard to get some action and have the police pick him up in cali? He is a fugitive for cripes sakes? What can I do to get him picked up and can I use a bounty hunter? Is anyone licensed to pick him up?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Well, I find it hard to believe that GA will not extradite him if he is arrested on the warrants. I believe what they mean is they will not send a GA posse out to find him

First and foremost, at this time, I suggest it is imperative that you go to the court where you posted your home and file to have his Bond revoked based on his absconding. That should release your property and your obligation to ensure his appearance. This is important and if you feel you cannot maneuver you way around the court system to get that done, as soon as possible, then you should consider having a local attorney do it for you

You certainly can call any bond agency in CA to employ the services of a Bounty Hunter to help you to find him. Once found, the Bounty Hunter is authorized to arrest and take him to a local detention center until he can be processed.

Of course, when you sign probation or parole documents, you agree that you will not fight extradition. Therefore, once he is processed in CA, he will not have a hearing on extradition. Your Bounty Hunter can then arrange with the GA police to return him, in lieu of the GA authorities expending cost for transport - they will pay the Bounty Hunter to do the transport. If you talked to a bond company, they will tell you that it may be difficult because you did not use a bond company. But you can contract a Bounty Hunter.

I reiterate, at this time, I suggest it is imperative that you go to the court where you posted your home and file to have his Bond revoked based on his absconding. That should release your property and your obligation to ensure his appearance. This is important and if you feel you cannot maneuver you way around the court system to get that done, as soon as possible, then you should consider having a local attorney do it for you

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, that is good info, I didn't know I could revoke the bond without turning him in, I was actually in the midst of turning him in and when we got to the police parking(detention center where I bailed him out) lot he jumped from the car and stole my purse and ran and that is how this all started. Thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Yes. You go to the court and tell them, you know he has absconded and does not plan on being in court. Contact the DA and tell them that you need to remove your bond as you are unable to get assistance in tracking him down. They can do a revocation without him being present. You may need a local attorney to assist with this matter. It will not be easy to do. You will need to prove that you did not help release him with the knowledge that he would abscond. If your attorney is not able to have the bond revoked, then take solace that once you have him surrendered any lien against your property will be removed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The info you gave me concerning the bond was incorrect, I went to revoke the bond and was told that I had to have the person in custody and turn him in before I could cancel my bond.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

That is why I said you will need a local attorney to assist you. Yes, you should have the person in hand. But there are situations where a bond can be revoked based on certain circumstances. This is not something that can be done on a Sunday via a court commissioner.

A local attorney should be able to assist you with that. If not, then you need to go the route I outlined with the Bounty Hunter in CA to bring him back.

As I stated, if he is not there, you will have a lien placed on your property. But once he is recovered the lien will be removed.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I have researched for some case law that would allow you to revoke the bond without surrendering the offender, to no avail. So while I believed I had read a controversial case to that effect, I may be incorrect.

However, as I stated, you certainly can call any bond agency in CA to employ the services of a Bounty Hunter to help you to find him. Once found, the Bounty Hunter is authorized to arrest and take him to a local detention center until he can be processed.

Of course, when you sign probation or parole documents, you agree that you will not fight extradition. Therefore, once he is processed in CA, he will not have a hearing on extradition. Your Bounty Hunter can then arrange with the GA police to return him, in lieu of the GA authorities expending cost for transport - they will pay the Bounty Hunter to do the transport. If you talked to a bond company, they will tell you that it may be difficult because you did not use a bond company. But you can contract a Bounty Hunter