Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Is there a template or standard available online for writing

Customer Question

Is there a template or standard available online for writing a motion to remove monitoring from my computer? I received 10 years probation and in the 1st year during a home visit from my PO, there was an assumption made on her part that I was accessing the internet without a blocker. I have since passed two polygraphs regarding this specific event and have had no issues surrounding this or any other violation. Removing the monitor is of interest since there is a monthly cost associated with it, other than that, it causes no issues.

Again, is there a template or guideline online to write the motion to have this removed? If not, is there another route short of hiring a lawyer?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
This is a motion that has to be drafted from scratch and is not one that you will find just posted on the internet. You start by taking one of the documents from your case that has been filed with the court and you copy the heading (the court name/case name/case number) and you then have to explain in the motion the grounds for the motion and you are going to actually have to go to the local law library for a case that states the court has the authority to terminate the monitoring early. Chances of the probation being removed after only 1 year out of 10 of no violations are very slim to none (I haven't seen any early terminations if at least 60-80% of the time had not been served).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the quick response. My assumption based on your response is that my best route will be to have a lawyer address this. I am only looking to change the conditions of my probation, not have the probation itself removed. Only have the monitoring of my computers removed since this was not originally a condition of my probation.

I will do some research at the local law library and see if this is something I can do myself... Thank you for your response.

I do understand that to consider having my probation duration shortened, I will have to serve a minimum of 1/2 of that probation, and then, it is still at the discretion of the judge regardless of lack of violations. For this, I will most certainly have a lawyer.

Even for the monitoring, chances are they will require you to do more than 1 year of it before they remove it, but if it was not part of your original probation then that is a good argument for it to be removed.