Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

i need to know what to do in order to get my license back from a dwi in 09/4/2006. it was

Customer Question

i need to know what to do in order to get my license back from a dwi in 09/4/2006. it was reduced to a misdiameter. i paid the court fine and lawyer fee. i have not been able to take care of this nightmare due to 4 unexpected major surgeries 2007-2010. i don't know what to do next. DWI was in ogdensburg,ny 9/4/2006. what do i need to do in order to get my license back???? can you please Help me in the right direction? thank you. i have never been in any trouble with the law.thsnk you april cota
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, the courts will not order reinstatement if you have not completed the classes required and DMV has a policy not to issue reinstatements until these conditions have all been satisfied. Your appeal would have to be to DMV because as a drivers license is not a right but a privilege they have administrative power over the license. You would need to argue at least for a hardship license based on your medical needs and need to drive yourself to and from medical appointments which will get you started anyway. Then you would need to start taking the classes required to satisfy the court requirements to get the full reinstatement. Your only other possibility is to get your attorney to go back to court to ask the court to waive the remaining conditions based on your medical condition and explain to the court how the license is needed to get around for your medical treatment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.