Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Jurisdiction California, Santa Clara County I was recently

Jurisdiction: California, Santa Clara County

I was recently arrested, and was brutalized to the point of perhaps-permanent neurological damage in my wrists. Can I use the fact of the documented brutality to make a case for a lower sentence, based on the fact that it was performed under color of authority, it was performed punitively, and it was cruel and unusual? Has anyone attempted to use this argument, of 'the punishment prescribed by the legislature is the standard of fair and usual'?
If the conduct of the officers was proved to be excessive force then you have a civil rights claim against them and you would need to bring suit against them for that and can file a civil rights violation through the FBI as well. The fact that there was excessive force used does not have to be considered by the DA or the court, but many times the DA will consider it in working a deal if the defendant signs a document waiving all rights to sue the department and the officers.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.