Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

i am charged violation section 10-147 of the nyc administrative

Customer Question

i am charged violation section 10-147 of the nyc administrative code. This carries a maximum penalty 30 days in city jail , maximum fine of $200 , or both. This is the first time I was charged with a crime. What is my most likely penalty. Will i be merely fined, be on probation, or will i be handcuffed behind my back by a court officer and taken to a holding cell awaiting a trip to XXXXX and assume I will be jailed how many days in jail do you think will be my sentence.
I was unpleasantly surprised that i could be going to RIKERS ISLAND. The tRUTH IS I AM REALLY SCARED OF GOING TO JAIL ESPECIALLY RIKERS ISLAND
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

If you or your lawyer ask for one, you'll likely get an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal and a small fine. The ACD does not involve a plea of guilty, though you'd have to agree to the disposition, dismisses the case instantly and will seal the record after 6 months automatically by operation of law if you stay out of further difficulty with the law during that period.

The violation itself, 10-147 of the NYC Administrative Code, carries a maximum penalty of only 10 days in jail and a fine of anywhere from $50-$200 The odds of you spending any time at Rikers for a charge like this are nil.