JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

hey i have a friend who was in the car wit sumone who was being

Customer Question

hey i have a friend who was in the car wit sumone who was being looked at by dea since 04 and recently he was riding wit him not knowing what was going on and he was going to make a drug deal and when they stopped at da bank dea came in and arrested my friend for trafficking but in the police report they didn't find anything illegal on him or in the car cause he was wit someone else do u feel like he can be looking at sum time or is that entrapment cause he didint know what was going on
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

Can you please clarify what crime(s) your friend was charged with?

JB Umphrey :

Specifically what was the drug and what was the weight he was charged with?

Customer :

they say trafficking but no illegal contraband was found at all

JB Umphrey :

I understand.

JB Umphrey :

Was he charged with trafficking?

JB Umphrey :

Has he gone to court, yet?

Customer :

cocaine and they say 28 grams or more

JB Umphrey :

Would this be first offense?

Customer :

they passed his court date cause they say he havent not been formely charged

Customer :

no this is the third

JB Umphrey :

Is this being charged as first offense?

JB Umphrey :

Is this being handled/prosecuted by the feds?

Customer :

they have on the report second degree felony

Customer :

no they turned it over to the state

JB Umphrey :

So your friend is not going to federal court?

Customer :

no

JB Umphrey :

What state?

Customer :

in florida

Customer :

jacksonville

JB Umphrey :

In Florida, the trafficking of cocaine between the weight of 28 to 200 grams, has a mandatory minimum penalty of

• 3 Years in Prison

• $25,000 fine

Customer :

but he didnt have anything on him so how can they give u time for sumthen that u didnt have

JB Umphrey :

I was not there so I am not in a position to say that he will be found guilty if he takes the case to a jury trial.

JB Umphrey :

I also do not have the benefit of being able to review the police and investigation reports.

JB Umphrey :

I can only convey information.

Customer :

so the best thing for him to do is take it to trial

JB Umphrey :

If your friend believes that he's not guilty, he has a right to demand a trial by jury.

JB Umphrey :

Force the prosecution to prove their claims beyond a reasonable doubt.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

how do we go about doing that

JB Umphrey :

When a person goes to court for the first time, they will be arraigned.

Customer :

oh okay but will it be better to hire a lawyer

JB Umphrey :

At that time, the judge informs them of the charges, asks if they'll be hiring an attorney, and asks how they wish to plead.

JB Umphrey :

The person can say that they plead no guilty and ask for a jury trial.

JB Umphrey :

Sorry, I meant plead not guilty and ask for a jury trial.

JB Umphrey :

If he's going to hire an attorney, the attorney will know what to say at the arraignment.

Customer :

okay

JB Umphrey :

If he can't afford to hire an attorney, at the arraignment, he can ask the judge for court-appointed counsel.

Customer :

okay how do i go about paying u and if i dont like the answers i recieved then what do i do

JB Umphrey :

If you have found the information to be ACCEPTable, you can select the ACCEPT button on your screen.

JB Umphrey :

If you are not satisfied with the information I have been conveyed, I would appreciate understanding why so that, if possible, I can clarify any misunderstanding.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: i'm not satisfied with my answer for a number of reasons the main one is that her response was to late and she really wasnt intrested in what was going she even told me basically she was done and she wish us luck but i was still asking question.
i'm not satisfied with my answer for a number of reasons the main one is that her response was to late and she really wasnt intrested in what was going she even told me basically she was done and she wish us luck but i was still asking question
If you have additional follow-up questions, feel free to pose them.