CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I was caught shoplifting last night from a grocery store. I

I was caught shoplifting last night from a grocery store. I was not arrested and the cops were not notified at all. The security officer said that the information of the incident will not be given to police at all. They had me sign a form, copied my ID and took a picture of the items I hid in my purse (about $30 worth) and a picture of me also. He said it will all just go into a file and sent to corporate for future reference if I were to ever steal from them again. Now my question is: This wasn't the first time I had stolen from there. I didn't know they had cameras (I think they may have just put more up) Can they review old security tapes to see if I had stolen before? I'm not sure if they can lookup my name in a credit card file to see dates and times I have used my credit card there, then bring up tapes from those times, and then backtrack from the register to see if I stole at those times...? And if they are able to do so, would they be able to charge me with shoplifting for those past times? I'm freaking out! Please help!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 3 years ago.
It is unlikely they would go back and look at tapes. They took your information so that if you are in the store again, you will be asked to leave and to document this in the event it happens again, so they will press charges. It appears as this store gives out a warning and if it occurs again, will contact the police and seek prosecution. Depending on how long ago the prior thefts took place, the statute of limitations may have run.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I'm just so shocked that nothing is going to happen. I'm very grateful and I want to believe it, but it's so hard to believe. In your experience, have you ever come across a petty theft case like this where they have reviewed old tapes using credit card info to pinpoint times/dates? Also, do you know if that is even possible? Or if they were to review old tapes, would they just be looking for me on the camera with no idea as to what times I was there? If that were the case, then I would feel a lot better because I know that would take a long time and also, they wouldn't neccesarily have proof that it was me on the camera.
First, you need to find out if they even have tapes. If they don't, then they clearly ca not go back. For a petty theft case, it is not likely they will go back. They really do not want you returning, plain and simple. For them to go back in the system and find your name, time and date and try to find you, would be way to much effort. Additionally, this is not the first time you have stolen. Make sure it is your last and be thankful. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question and good luck. Please click the accept button so I can get credit for my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need to know if a store is capable of prosecuting on past security tapes if they happen to take the time to review them. Also, if they are capable of looking up credit card usage at the store to pinpoint dates/times I was there to see if I stole at those times...
Yes, the store can report the theft as long as the statute of limitations has not run. Yes, the are capable of looking up credit card usage if they want to as it is their records and they can investigate as the chose.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.