Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was convicted of rape in 1980 and was hospitalized under

I was convicted of rape in 1980 and was hospitalized under now defunct MDSO proceedings until my release to outpatient status in 1990. In 1994, the Ninth Circuit court issued an order for my release from supervision by the California Dept. Of Health and Human services stating they had violated my rights by not allowing me the opportunity to challenge extended custody following my eight year sentence (in all, I served nearly 10 years under state supervision). I was never in prison nor placed on probation. Following the ruling of the 9th Court, I returned to my original convicting court; criminal proceedings were reinstated; and following my plea of guilty to the charges, I was sentenced to time served and released with no follow up probation. I subsequently had two DUI convictions, the last occurring in 1990. I have since graduated college, worked as Executive Asssistant to the Board of Directors of Clorox; Same for the Medical Directors of Kaiser Permanente; and other high profile similar jobs with great reviews. Am I able to apply for a Governor's pardon for an offense occurring 30 years ago?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

I'd give this a try if I were you. Getting a governor's pardon is a pretty extraordinary feat in California, but you've had some rather extraordinary accomplishments, and you've been out of trouble for 30 years.

Although there's a line of sex offenses which would disqualify a felon from seeking a pardon, the listed felonies are all crimes involving child victims. Which does not appear to be the charge for which you were arrested.

You can read about the pardon and what it does and doesn't do, the eligibility requirements and about how to apply for one here.

There are lawyers who specialize in pardons, expungements and the restoration of civil rights. Though they are not, strictly speaking, necessary, you might want to strongly consider retaining one. Although your accomplishments certainly speak for themselves, someone who prepares a lot of these applications whould likely be able to package yours better than you could alone.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.