Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

i was arrested 3 days ago for trying to obtain xanax under

i was arrested 3 days ago for trying to obtain xanax under a different name. i currently have a regular prescription for xanax but my insurance was going to run out in 2 days so i tried to get more. i have never been arrested in my life. i am freaking out & need to know what is going to happen next? i was told that i will receive something in the mail.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did you make any statements to anyone?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah I was panicked & agreed to sit down & talk with the police. I admitted to trying to get xanax on that day & one other time before that. they asked me if I was going to sell it & I said absolutely not

Dear JACUSTOMER - You will need to either get an attorney or, if you cannot afford one, have the court appoint one when you appear for the first time. Until then there's not much you can do but do not make any further statements. The fact that you are not under arrest is good but you need to have representation to protect your rights and try to get the best deal possible.

I completely understand why you talked to the police but you have no duty to say anything further. hopefully this is your first offense and if so you will likely receive probation and a fine or maybe some type of community service. I know this is stressful but you need to keep your cool and when the court date arrives you need to get an attorney.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your answer. just for my own personal reassurance, can you comment on how likely it is for me to NOT receive a felony for this? this is my 1st offense of any kind.

Well if it falls under the felony statute you will likely be charged as such but many times that can be reduced to a misdemeanor once you have an attorney. Predicting court cases is very difficult since so much depends on the court and the policy of the prosecutor and judge involved. This is why you need an attorney to negotiate any deals that may be available.