Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

in new york city if i have gun lic and get a disorderly condut

Customer Question

in new york city if i have gun lic and get a disorderly condut can my lic be taken alway
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  bob2231 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Bob :

Hello Thanks for using JustAnswer.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help with your question.I'm going to change format to Q & A to make it easier for you to get back to the question.

Customer :

got last message

Bob :

still there?

Bob :

I was reading,trying to get a definitive answer.

Expert:  bob2231 replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

Edited by Bob on 10/2/2010 at 4:38 PM EST
Expert:  bob2231 replied 4 years ago.
Hi
I'm going to give you a link to a New York legal society page that discusses the general laws and procedures in New York.
Unfortunately,all I can find is that "certain categories" of disorderly conduct can allow them to revoke your license.It would most likely be the same list that would prohibit your getting the permit in the first place.Public Intoxication probably,anything having to do with domestic violence,things along that line.
Look over the information at the link,and I'll opt out so that someone familiar with New York law can help.
Thanks
Bob
http://www.lcav.org/states/newyork.asp
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

A disorderly conduct in NYS (240.20) is a violation and not a crime. That said, a NYC firearms permit is discretionary. And even though the infraction you are talking about is less than a misdemeanor and not a serious offense, if what you were alleged to have done shows you to be someone who lacks the moral character to have a firearms permit, the authorities will not renew it.

See the Section of the NYC Administrative Code below which lays out what can cost you your city license:

b. No license shall be issued or renewed pursuant to this section except by the police commissioner, and then only after investigation and finding that all statements in a proper application for a license or renewal are true. No license shall be issued or renewed except for any applicant:
(1) of good moral character;
(2) who has not been convicted anywhere of a felony or of any serious offense;
(3) who has stated whether he or she has ever suffered any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness and who is free from any mental disorder, defects or diseases that would impair the ability safely to possess or use a firearm, rifle or shotgun; and
(4) concerning whom no good cause exists for the denial of a license.

If you don't have a NYC firearms permit but have a NYS license for your gun, you have no right to possess your firearm in NYC at all. The only exception for that would be if you have the handgun in a locked container and you are passing through NYC in one continuous non-stop trip. Otherwise, yes, you will lose your license.