JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my son is being harassed over

Customer Question

I live in Philadelphia, PA and my son is being harassed over the internet. The harasser is using facebook. They also created a fake page under my son's name. I called the police and they told me the only thing I can do is file a private criminal complaint. Is this my only option?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

How old is your son?

JB Umphrey :

In other words, is your son a minor or an adult?

Customer :

he just turned 18. We also know who the person is

JB Umphrey :

Okay.

JB Umphrey :

When it comes to FaceBook problems such as this:

JB Umphrey :

The best way to flag abusive content on the site is to use the "Report" links that appear near the content itself. When a report is submitted, we will review it and take any action warranted by our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. To submit a report, please take the steps listed below:

• Report a profile: Go to the profile and click the "Report/Block this Person" link that appears in the left column below the profile photo.

• Report a photo: XXXXX XXXXX the specific photo and click the "Report This Photo" link that appears below the photo.

• Report an Inbox message: View the message and click the "Report Message" link that appears below the sender’s name. Note that you can only report messages from non-friends.

• Report a group or event: Go to its main page and click the "Report" link that appears below the group or event photo.

• Report a Page: View the Page and click the "Report Page" link that appears in the left column below the Page photo.

We also recommend that you consider blocking the user involved in the report. People you block won't be able to find you in searches, view your profile, or contact you with pokes, Wall posts, or personal messages. You can block people by adding their names to your block list at the bottom of the Privacy Settings page, or by checking "Block this person" when you report them. These people will not be notified when you block them, and any existing ties you have with them will be removed.

For all reports, be sure to follow the instructions carefully when choosing the report category.

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

He did that and we also reported them. They created a fake fan page, took a picture of his face and copied it on to animals bodies and gay people bodies.

Customer :

each time we reported the fake fan page facebook did shut it down but they kept creating more

JB Umphrey :

Another option to consider would be to consult with a local civil law attorney and review one's options to sue the person for slander/false light/misappropriation of likeness.