J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

Ilive in Florida and want to ask a question about gun ownership.

Ilive in Florida and want to ask a question about gun ownership. In 1973 I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. The judge withheld adjudication of guilt and I was given 0ne years probation. Does this disqualify me from owning a firearm? By the state of Florida? By federal law?
Chat Conversation Started
J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

You are not disqualified from "possessing" a firearm under either Florida law or Federal law.

J.Hazelbaker :

When "adjudication" is withheld and you satisfy the terms of the agreement (e.g. probation), then you do not receive a conviction for the crime.

J.Hazelbaker :

This is a common resolution for first time offenders.

J.Hazelbaker :

Your firearm rights are only suspended when you are actually convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence offense.

J.Hazelbaker :

Since you were not convicted, then you can possess a firearm.

JACUSTOMER-u2rn7ebe- :

Would I be able to take the Florida test to be licensed to carry a concealed weapon?

J.Hazelbaker :

And, you would know, if you were convicted, as it would certainly pop up on your background check.

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes. You would not be disqualified for a ccw permit.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know, if you have any follow-up questions. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

JACUSTOMER-u2rn7ebe- :

Thank you for answering my questions.

J.Hazelbaker :

You are welcome.