AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

If I feel like I am being harassed, how do I press charges

If I feel like I am being harassed, how do I press charges against the harassor?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A victim doesn't actually "press charges." A victim files a criminal complaint with law enforcement. Law enforcement hten looks into the matter and forwards it to the prosecutor. The prosecutor then determines whether or not to prosecute the accused.

Therefore, an individual who believes he/she is a victim of a crime may report it to law enforcement.

You can review New York's Criminal harassment statutes at:
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0240.25_240.25.html
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0240.26_240.26.html
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0240.30_240.30.html
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0240.31_240.31.html
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0240.32_240.32.html

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger. If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the Reply feature.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential.Customeris not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. Customerdoes not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the person that is harassing me lives in pennsylvania and I live in new york. Does that affect anything?

Please describe the nature of the alleged harassment.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
text messages from my husband's girlfriend.

When harassment involves interstate conduct, an individual may typically report the matter to local law enforcement. However, an individual may be more likely to see results if the person reports the matter to federal law enforcement officials, as interstate harassment can constitute a federal crime when electronic communications are used to harass individuals across state lines. Accordingly, interstate harassment may appropriately be discussed with a federal law enforcement agency like the FBI.

Sincerely,

_____________________________________