Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience

I need a copy of the criminal statutes in effect in New York

Customer Question

I need a copy of the criminal statutes in effect in New York State in the year 1971
Submitted: 6 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

They are not available online, but I can direct you to where they can be found. Would that suffice?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't need the whole, just a copy of the following criminal statutes which were in effect in 1971:

NY Penal Laws:

Criminal Possession of a Dangerous Drug, 3rd, 4th AND 5th degrees.

Thank you.

Ok, that is much more manageable :)

And you just want to know what the corresponding statute read in 1971, correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If they are easily accessible in my area. I thought that was what you were supposed to do, get me the statutes for those specified crimes.
I think that we are not understanding each other... it is no one's fault because this forum is a little bit unnatural at times. I was just trying to ask for clarification as to the scope of your question--you are asking for me to provide the text of the 1971 statutes in question, correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's all I need, I would really appreciate that as I am at a deadline.

This will take about 15-30 minutes. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANKS for your help!
Formerly Penal Law Section 220.15, it was repealed September 1, 1973.

I've searched my extensive online legal search databases, and I can't find the actual text anywhere. I use westlaw and lexisnexis which are by far the most sophisticated, complete online legal databases available; I can therefore say with great confidence that you would need to go to a physical copy of the text to find it--this would need to be via a law library.

I am marking this as an "info request" and not an "anwswer" because I was unable to answer the question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for trying.....I loked on Lexis myself could not find it.

Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
I have reviewed your comments and communication with the prior attorney. Unfortunately you will not find what you are seeking online. To maintain the amount of current law and all prior laws would just be too vast to be supported in an online forum. What you need to do is go to your local law library or law school library and ask for the NY Session Laws for 1973. I understand you need 1971 but since the law changed in 1973 if you read the Sessions Law it will show the statute as it appeared in 1971 with a single black line drawn through the words so you can still read it. The black lines represent words that were taken out of a statute and since it was repealed then all the words will have a black line through it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We had already got that far, I needed the actual statute.

The NY Sessions Law which are red books are the correct place to late what you need.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know what Session Laws are, I am an attorney, I asked for a copy of the laws. I was trying to save the time to go retrieve it myself.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I needed the statute as I asked for, not where to find them, I already knew that. Was prepared to pay so I wouldn't have to make a trip to the law library.