LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

On the 27th day of the month an undercover officer employed

On the 27th day of the month an undercover officer employed by the county alledgedly videoed illegal alcohol activity in a dry county. On the 10th of the following month at approximately 3:30 pm a judge signed a search and seizure warrant. At approximately 10pm the police raided the facility. Was this warrant timely?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

There is no particular time in which the police must apply for a search warrant after witnessing a crime. In fact, it is likely that there were other aspects of the investigation which took place between the time the videotaped surveillance on the 27th and the warrant being sought took place. The issue of timeliness comes into play following the issuance of the warrant---and in this particularly, there is little doubt but that the warrant was timely served.

I see absolutely no problem with any aspect of the investigation and service of the warrant as you have described the facts.

I wish you the best in 2010.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, presuming that it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me.

It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would
click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance. Best regards,