Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your record in the state

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your record in the state of Wisconsin?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Unless the defendant was under age 21, a misdemeanor will stay on the defendant's criminal record permanently.

The defendant should not necessarily be discouraged by this fact. The reality is that about 1/3 of the population has at least a misdemeanor on their record; for most people, they make a one-time error in judgment and they go on to lead productive lives and make meaningful contributions to society. Even when I worked in a District Attorney's office, we had people working for us who had misdemeanors on their records.

Misdemeanors are bad, but they do not have to be that serious if you learn from your mistake--the more remote in time they are, the less they matter. They sting, and they should sting, but they do not have to define you.

I hope that this helps.