Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Ill have a court next week, and I got charge for 4th degree

Customer Question

I'll have a court next week, and I got charge for 4th degree theft. I am wondering what's gonna happen to me? I live in Alaska. Please give me some ideas about this...I've never got in trouble before. Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Theft in the 4th degree is a 4th degree misdemeanor in Alaska. It is a minor offense that typically would involve no jail time. You will want to consider a not guilty plea and request a public defender. If a public defender is not appointed, request a conference with the prosecutor. You can discuss a diversion program to keep this off of your record. For example, community service or a fine.