Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.

My son has been detained in a Las Vegas on a sexual assault

My son has been detained in a Las Vegas on a sexual assault charge. He was just arraigned on Wednesday and has a $53,000 bond, and his preliminary hearing is set for 30 days. What is the best action to take?

Thank you for your question.

I will do my best to assist you with your issue. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by as well as various state bar associations from giving specific legal advice, provide representation, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open and non-confidential forum. Do you understand and agree to these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I agree
Thank you for consenting.

It appears that you have two distinct questions. The first is what is the best action to take, and the second is why the PD may have requested more time. Is that about right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, that is correct. I would like to know more info about the process. He has been charged on Multiple counts which has made his bail extremely high. Should I get an attorney first to reduce the bail and/or counts. How do I go about finding the right attorney? I have already gone on the internet and found 2 criminal attorneys, but do not know how to evaluate them, or what to ask for.
Thank you for your follow-up.

Please permit me to take your questions one at a time.

1. Best Action to Take
Usually having the Public Defender is not a good idea on such a high risk and high profile case. PDs are notoriously overworked, and they have no time to sit down and actually research the issues a good portion of the time they represent. On the other hand sexual assault charges are punished severely by the prosecutor who generally does have time to research the case. It is usually advisable to get a private attorney who can spend time on the case, attempt to lower the bail by possibly showing that the defendant is not a flight risk, and be more zealous pertaining to your son's safety and representation.

2. Continuance
There are quite a few possible reasons for the delay. It is possible that the PD is overworked and simply did not have the time to research this, as I explained above. It is also possible that either of the parties may have trial at the other date, so they need to reschedule so that both can attend. Finally, it is possible that the PD was requesting information that he did not get, so he asked for a delay in making sure he would get the information and have enough time to read it.

3. The Right Attorney
Tough question. Two ways of going about it. First, contacting the bar association and reviewing the disciplinary history. If there is nothing there, and referred by the bar, he is a good attorney, albeit usually pricey. The other option is to browse the listings at websites such as and There you can search by fees, location, experience, and expertise. Also past clients can put down their testimonials. This way you will be able to find out whether or not an attorney is any good.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 9/5/2010 at 4:38 PM EST