J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.

What percentage of my monthly income can the US government

What percentage of my monthly income can the US government take for my US federal court restitution? I was sentenced to a federal prion term of 41 months back in 1999, and I served it and also served court ordered federal supervised release after that. I was paying $60 a month on my restitution while in prison and also while on supervised release.
I was sucessfully discharged from supervised release in 2008 a haven't paid anything on my $112,000 restitution debt since 2008 because the public defender I had told me I did not have to. However, now the US attorney wants me to pay up! I am 73 years old, and in bad health (I have had 3 heart attacks and a triple bypass surgery in 2005,
and also have extreme C.O.P.D. and am on doctor ordered oxygen 24/7). My only income is $552 a month from social security benefits. I have no other income. Do I still have to pay this restitution, and if so, what perentage of my soial security do I have to pay each month? Please help me and please reply soon? Thank you and may God bless you. My e-mail address [email protected] Please write me soon? I am scared!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

As long as you truthfully disclose all your assets and income, none of your SSI will be garnished.

J.Hazelbaker :

You can only be forced to pay the state maximum (usually around 25%). However, this is where you have disposable income.

J.Hazelbaker :

You don't have disposable income, based on your description of your finances. They can't and won't take any of your monthly ssi check.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.