TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

do I really need a paid criminal attorney of will a public

do I really need a paid criminal attorney of will a public defender be just as good?
Chat Conversation Started
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. : What are you charged with?
I have opted out of chat, but I will still be working with you. I have a few other matters I need to attend to, but I should be back online within 90 minutes.

Edited by TexCrimLawyer, J.D. on 9/3/2010 at 12:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Trafficking cocaine and possession of marujauna. My husband and I were seperated off and on for about 2 years, and 6 months ago he was arrested and charged. The investigators at the time told me that they knew I was not involved and that I had nothing to worry about. I told them that yes I did know that something was going on, and that was why I had moved out. I was totally honest with them about what I knew, but I really do not know any details. Like who his supplier and cust. were. But then when his case went before the Grand Jury they decided to charge me as well. He told them that I had nothing to do with it and the drugs were in his truck with him.

Based on those facts, I think the public defender is adequate. In my experience, the public defender is better than all but the very top tier defense attorneys. They work with the DA on a consistent basis and have a good working relationship. They do tend to carry a heavy caseload, but so do private attorneys.

The fact that the police did not believe you had anything to do with it will go a long way to having your case dismissed. The DA will realize that he has to put on the officers, and if they are going to say they don't believe you had anything to do with the crime, he will know the jury is very unlikely to convict. As such, he is likely to dismiss.

I hope that answers your question. If so, please click the "Accept" button (that's how I get credit for my work). If you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I have four small children so I really don't want to make the wrong choice.

I completely understand. I know it can be frustrating, but in my experience, the criminal justice system works. It just takes time.

Good luck.