Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

my son was sentence one year state jail on a credit card abuse

my son was sentence one year state jail on a credit card abuse charge this is his 2nd time getting in trouble with the same charge. on his first time he was granted probation 2year and complete it successful. my son have major health he is one 3 blood pressure medication and hiv pos. i heard state jail is very hot and that is not good for his health
do u think we should tell the da about his health issues and can he do his time in the county.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

While you can tell the DA, and it can't hurt, it's unlikely to do any good. The DA would have no control over the Department of Corrections, which makes its housing determinations based on space and security issues. It might be better for you to contact you'r son's lawyer, who can, in turn, contact someone inside the Department of Corrections and make your son's health problems known to their legal department who would then be on notice about any possible future problems.