Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Is it possible to get a PFA on someone that you never had a

Customer Question

Is it possible to get a PFA on someone that you never had a relationship with or never lived with in the state of PA?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

Briefly, please tell me the circumstances of this situation.

Customer :

I had a 1 yr 3 month affair with a man who was living with another woman

Customer :

she found out 2 times

Customer :

of late, the past four months we have been back togehter

Samuel-II :

Yes

Customer :

just yesterday i gave him an ultimatum that he had to choose

Customer :

this angered him so he kinda lost in emotionally and ended up telling his live in gf

Customer :

now everything is my fault and he is threatening me with a pfa

Samuel-II :

Alright. Have you done anything that would be consider harassment, since this happened?

Customer :

he actually has a hearing for one tomorrow

Samuel-II :

In other words, has he given you written notice to have no contact with him and you did anyway?

Samuel-II :

A hearning in PA for a PFA?

Customer :

no no written contact

Customer :

I had no idea

Samuel-II :

alright.

Customer :

he was just at my house yesterday

Samuel-II :

Please be patient while I type my answer and then we can continue with your questions pertaining to my answer

Samuel-II :

First of all, he must provide you written notification via certified mail with a return receipt requested to not have any contact

Samuel-II :

Once he does that and you do then he can file criminal harassment charges

Samuel-II :

But until that happens, he has no recourse

Samuel-II :

So if you are served with a temporary PFA then you will have an opportunity to show cause why it should not be made permanant

Samuel-II :

Yes, it can be issued via PA and then sent to your state for service

Samuel-II :

It is a process, but it can be done

Samuel-II :

Now, it's your turn.

Customer :

so if he has done none of this then he has no leg to stand on basically

Customer :

he has to prove why he would need to have a pfa against me

Samuel-II :

Well, he can get a termporary order based on an affidavit. But once you show cause that you were never notified that you were harassing him it would be dismissed

Customer :

especially considering we live 40 minutes apart

Samuel-II :

He would need prove that he mailed you a letter and that you received the letter

Samuel-II :

a verbal demand or a text message or an email is not sufficient

Customer :

ok thanks...that is what I was wondering

Samuel-II :

So, if you are served with a Temp Order be sure to go to court and show cause

Customer :

can you show the rest of our convo?

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Hi

If you are served the temp order, go to court show cause that you were never properly notified not to have contact. In the meantime, have no contact with him anyway