Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

Can writ of mandamus requiring finding of Fact be considered

Customer Question

Can writ of mandamus requiring finding of Fact be considered as immediate timely filed notice of appeal or is the deadline of 90 days is the rule?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
Can you rephrase please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Made Petition for Writ of Mandamus requiring finding of Fact and... with Court of appeal but did not file Notice of Appeal.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, I still don't understand. Can you give some more facts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

See the blog post: "What is required to perfect an appeal?" and note this statement:

If the proper post-judgment motion has been filed, or in some circumstances, if a request for findings of fact and conclusions of law was made within 20 days, the notice of appeal will be due 90 days after the judgment was signed.

The original jugment order was signed on May 17th, by trial court. The request for findings of fact and conclusions of law was filed within the 20 day time limit, so it appears that the deadline for filing a notice of appeal is 90 days from the date the trial court signed the order denying findings of fact and conclusions of law (which was August 19th).

It is correct?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
It is 90 days from the date of the judgment, May 17th, unless an extension of time was granted by the court.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please, exact explanation and coment to the link given to you, or give up the qoestion for other.