Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

I picked up my phone messages from two days ago and found out

I picked up my phone messages from two days ago and found out that I missed a call to appear for Jury Duty two days. I called the phone number provided for information and the person on the other side advised me to wait to see if any letter is issued. I am law-abiding and I do not wish to err again in my duty. I feel that that I should not just wait for such letter. What is the advise? This is the state of Arizona/
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did you ever receive a written notice for jury duty prior to receiving this phone call?

Have you recently moved or had trouble with your mail?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did receive a written notice to fill out a questionnaire, which I did online. I had trouble with the phones lines in that I recently change cell phone numbers (so the questionnaire had the old one) and the phone system at work has been having intermittent fails (I have emails confirming this), which essentially caused me to listen to my voice mail 2 days later.

Dear JACUSTOMER - Most notices for jury duty require that you call in the night before to see if you should appear the next day. Obviously that didn't happen if they called you. My suggestion is to call them back and make certain you have the name of the person who told you to wait until you receive a call. I don't like to take chances when it comes to a possible contempt of court situation which this could be.

I just have no way to know from hear exactly what the situation may be but if someone in authority like the court bailiff tells you to wait until you hear something then that's just fine. If this was just someone in the clerk's office I would not rely on that statement. You would need to contact the judge's office and speak to the bailiff or some other person in that office. You certainly don't want a warrant issued for non appearance.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience practicing attorney