Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

If a bankruptcy was filed on 02/24/2003 and discharged on 05/28/2003

If a bankruptcy was filed on 02/24/2003 and discharged on 05/28/2003 - to comply with the FCRA, can this only be reported against the debtor for 7 years from the discharge date or can you report it to their potential employer over 7 years?

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately a bankruptcy may be reported on a credit report up to 10 years from discharge. It appears to be a popular misconception that a bankruptcy may only be reported for 7 years. However the reporting period is 10 years.