Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I was convicted of a traffic violation 1192.1 in new york 10

I was convicted of a traffic violation 1192.1 in new york 10 years ago, its no longer on my drivers abstract, but my finger prints were taken. Im applying for a federal job and want to have my arrest record expunged, is this possible? Do I need to hire a lawyer or can I go it myself by just appealing to the court?

New York State Criminal Procedure Law §160.55 provides for the return of fingerprints, photographs and sealing of a defendant's conviction of a violation of the penal code or a traffic infraction.

.

However, driving while "impaired" by alcohol in violation of Vehicle and Traffic Law § 1192(1) is considered a violation, but for special reasons, such violation convictions cannot be sealed.

.

So no this can't be expunged under NY law.

.

.

thanks

Lawpro

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So do you mean it will always be a matter of public record, and theres nothing I can do about it? Am I right in thinking it a traffic violation and not a criminal violation.

Yes, it will stay on your record indefinitely.

And yes, it is a traffic infraction, not a criminal violation so you can honestly answer that you have not been convicted of any misdemeanor or felony if that is the only thing on your record.

.

.

thanks

Lawpro