Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney

Does anyone who runs from legal matters in US face extradi

Customer Question

Does anyone who runs from legal matters in US face extradiction?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
No, there are many countries that will not extradite to the United States since they do not have extradition treaties with the United States.

This is a link to a list of those countries (for informational purposes only):

Edited by Cedric on 9/1/2010 at 9:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Iam from Tanzania and I have legal pending charges here in US and I would like to go back home.What are the chances for extradiction treaty to apply in my case?

Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
Since Tanzania does have an extradition treaty with the United States, it's extremely likely it would apply in your case and that you would be extradited to the United States if you try to return to Tanzania to escape pending criminal charges here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about if the authorities dont know that Iam in Tanzania?
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
They can't extradite you if they don't know you're in Tanzania, but if they found out, you would face extradition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have a friend of mine who had pending legal charges in South Africa and returned back to Tanzania and nothing has happened to him up to this moment. Is there a chance in my case that it may only be issued arrest warrant and the issue not taken that far?

Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there's a chance that would happen too, but there's also a chance that you could face additional penalties by fleeing if you are ever found to be in Tanzania and extradited to the Untied States.