lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

My daughter was convicted yesterday of a reckless driving ticket

My daughter was convicted yesterday of a reckless driving ticket in Virginia for going 78 in a 55. They did not let me in the courtroom because I was wearing shorts so I did not know what was being decided. Are you allowed to file an appeal?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.

Yes you can file an appeal to her Virginia reckless driving ticket. You can appeal your case to the Circuit Court in that county. You must file the appeal within 10 days from the date you were found guilty of reckless driving. The appeal entitles you to a brand new trial (de novo) in Circuit Court, as if the trial never occurred in lower court. Also, you have the right to request a jury trial or a trial by judge. For this you really need to retain a Virginia reckless driving attorney and ask for a jury trial. However, the circuit court judge can impose a stiffer sentence than the one she has now.