Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

My son was arrested in 2006 and charged with a felony which

My son was arrested in 2006 and charged with a felony which was reduced to a misdemeanor. He was never convicted as a felon. Just recently a background check listed him as a convicted felon as a result of this 2006 arrest. He has been denied jobs for the last year and now we know why. What should be our next step?

Dear JACUSTOMER - The first place I would check is at the clerk of courts in the place where he was originally charged to see what is showing up on the record. If he was never convicted of a felony and the record is incorrect he should easily be able to have the clerk correct the record and have it show as convicted of a misdemeanor.

Obviously if you are mistaken about the original outcome of the case and it turns out that he was convicted of a felony then you can't have the record changed and he would have to apply for an expungement or pardon from the Governor. Hopefully this is just a mix up on the court records and can be easily correct but you need to start with the clerk of courts as that is where the records are kept.

Dave Kennett