Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney

I was charged with a misdemeanor class b on may 26, 2010.

Customer Question

I was charged with a misdemeanor class b on may 26, 2010. I read on a website that based on the penalties for this charge, I should have my trial within 60 - 90 days. I just received paperwork today september 1, 2010 informing me of an arraignment on september 8, 2010. The letter is dated august 25, 2010. from the date i was charged to august 24, 2010 is 90 days. my question is did the state of texas violate my right to a speedy trial and can i get this dismissed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
No, it did not, what that means is that you have 90 days from the day of arraignment to go to trial--not that you have 90 days to go to trial from the day you were charged.