AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

My daughter got stopped in NY for DWI she is going to court

My daughter got stopped in NY for DWI she is going to court today we know nothing about the law. She had a breathalizer test at the time and it was .09 does she need a lawyer she has never had a ticket before. she will be 30 this year and a single mom just making ends meet

­Please click the green Accept Button so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

If you receive an error when clicking Accept, please Reply and let me know.

Thank you for your question.

The first court appearance is the arraignment. There, the defendant has the charges explained and enters a plea.

A DWI is definitely something an individual should retain an attorney for.

If a defendant has not yet retained an attorney, the defendant may request a continuance to consult with an attorney. Alternatively, the defendant may ask the court to appoint an attorney at the arraignment, should the defendant be unable to afford one.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click the Green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).