How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29583
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im charged with a hit and skip accident in Ohio. Is anybody

Resolved Question:

I'm charged with a hit and skip accident in Ohio. There we no injuries as the car I hit was parked on the side of the road. Is anybody here familiar with the procedures I must follow and what the likely outcome will be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The relevant statute, Ohio Revised Statutes, Section 4549.021 requires a person to stop after an accident. A violation of that statute is a misdemeanor of the first degree, unless someone is seriously injured (in which case it's a felony).

First, they will send you notice of a court date. When you appear in court, the judge will advise you of the charges against you. You will enter a plea of not guilty and request a trial. After the trial, you'll want to send a request for discovery to the DA, asking them to send you copies of all of the evidence against you (it should be in writing, to protect you, in case they don't do it). You can then look at the evidence and try to figure out if they have a good case against you.

You'll then go to a trial, where the DA will present the evidence against you. You'll get to cross-examine all of the DA's witnesses to show that they are mistaken. Then, if you want, you can testify on your own behalf and give your side of the story.

If you are found guilty, for a first offense, if no one was injured, you will most likely be charged a fine. In addition, the judge will suspend your driver's license for a period between six months and three years.

I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I really am in quite a jam. I just received a notice in the mail from the Accident Investigation Unit of the local police. The incident in question occured on June 5th, according to what I received. The notice informs me to call a detective to get further details.

What would be the difference if I were to plead guilty instead?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Well, the statute requires the license suspension, but you might be able to negotiate closer to six months than three years. And, if you're willing to plead guilty, you can try to negotiate a lower fine and no jail time.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions