Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested recently for the first time in my life. I am

I was arrested recently for the first time in my life. I am an elementary schoolteacher (17 years experience, 58 years old). A woman came to my house and stole my macbook computer while I was in my bedroom. She left behind a pipe and a small amount of crystal meth. I admit, I had taken a couple of hits for the first time in my life- I was experiencing extreme back pain at the time and wrongly concluded that I could get some pain relief (a bad decision, I admit). I called the police upon discovering the theft and thought I was cooperating by showing them where she left the drugs in my living room. They arrested me shortly thereafter...one misdemeanor count of public intoxication (later dropped) and a felony for possession of a controlled substance (later reduced to a misdemeanor).
My lawyer pled not guilty today and the pretrial is August 30. He has not gotten the police report yet nor the toxicology report. Am I required to report this to my school district (our union contract doesn't say anything about it, but does Ed Code require it? If I plead guilty at pretrial to a deferred entry of judgment program, can the district fire me for "pleading guilty" even if I can get an expungement in 18-36 months? Or should I fight this at a trial in order to gain acquital? I am frightened of losing my job and career. The thieves (she had an accomplice waiting in her car) got away. Yes, I admit that I was very gullible and stupid. In trying to be solution oriented, where do I go from here? Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If you plead guilty or are convicted then this is a ground for revocation by the board of education and it would have to be reported to them. You would not be able to get an expungement that fast on a plea or a conviction, so do not rely on that offer and until you get the expungement your license would be suspended which would require you being fired because your license would be suspended. You need to get your attorney to negotiate a better plea deal, but I am afraid that anything that is entered as a guilty plea will impact your teaching license.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.