Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

What are the rights of someone that was "Bakerized" in Florida

What are the rights of someone that was "Bakerized" in Florida and released as an "out patient" to relatives for a month. My brother is with me (in another state) and is afraid that when he goes back to Florida they will place him in a mental health facility. He made a comment that the doctor interpreted as a suicidal thoughts upon admission to the hospital. He was send to the mental health facility in the same hospital for 3 days and then released to me as an "out patient". Must he be seen by this doctor or any other doctor (physiotherapy) when he return to Florida? Do they have any "control" over him, as to what doctors he must see?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

I'm an attorney in Florida. I am a former prosecutor and handled prosecuting these cases for the state. Now, as a defense attorney, I've handled several Baker Acts from the defense side as well.

As I suspect you know, Florida's Baker Act permits people to be involuntarily civilly committed if they are thought to be a danger to themselves or others based on mental health issues. According to law, the person can be held for up to 72 hours without a hearing.

During that time, the person is to be examined by at least one doctor. If, after an examination, the person is not considered to be a danger, they can be released. If, after an examination, the person is considered to be a danger, then the hearing must be held.

At the hearing, a judge makes a determination as to whether the person appears to be a danger. If so, they can be committed for a longer period of time.

If your brother was released, either before or after the hearing, then he is not subject to being re-committed. Having said that, if another report is made about his well-being he could be committed a second time under the Baker Act.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My brother never had a hearing...he was released as an "out-patient". We now assume that he is released from treatment by this doctor. On the release form he has a follow up appointment with the committing doctor. Is my brother required by law to make this appointment?
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

The lack of a hearing is indicative of the doctor believing that your brother was not a danger to himself or others. The lack of a hearing is a positive thing for your brother. Once he was released, the "out-patient" recommendation was just that.......a recommendation. So no, he is not legally required to do anything further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more question. The "Discharge Assessment" under legal status states: BA 40/Voluntary. My brother is very concerned that if he does not return to this doctor he can be "committed" as he did not spent a total of 72 hours in the facility.
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

I apologize if I wasn't clear in the first post, a 72 hour hold is not necessary, it is the maximum amount of time the person can be held without a hearing. So, the fact that he did NOT spend 72 hours in the facility is not a bad thing. In fact, it is a good thing as it is indicative of him NOT having a problem.

As to the notations, I have no idea what "BA 40" means. As to "voluntary", I would suggest this is a positive as well as he was permitted to leave.

As a judge was never involved, your brother has no legal obligations here. A doctor cannot put any legal requirements on your brother. From a medical standpoint, it might be wise for your brother to seek follow-up, with whatever doctor he finds appropriate. From a legal standpoint, there is nothing he needs to do.

Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor